Alert travellers! You don't need to carry hard copies of driving licence, RC from today
Drivers will not be required to carry physical copies of vehicular documents like driving licence, registration certificate if they can be validated through Digilocker or mParivahan app on phones. Records of licences disqualified or revoked will be stored electronically. Further, drivers can use smartphones only for route navigation in a way that it does not disturb their concentration.
Here are the new rules:
1. Carrying vehicle license, registration certificate, insurance documents etc., will not be required from October if these documents are validated through government portal.
2. The documents can be uploaded on Digi-locker or m-Parivahan. Both these apps are available in any playstore. One can register through their mobile number.
3. Revoking driving license will also happen digitally.
4. Records of license being disqualified etc., will be digitally stored.
5. E-challans will be issued on the portal.
6. Drivers can only use mobile phones for route navigation while driving.
These changes, to be effective from October 1, were brought in by the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill, 2019.