Here are 6 categories of expats who can stay out of UAE for over 6 months
The Emirates Digital Government affirmed that the resident expatriate holding a valid residence visa from in UAE and wishing to travel abroad for any reason, must not stay outside the UAE for more than six months, otherwise his visa will be invalidated, and he will not be able to enter the UAE until he applies for a new entry visa.
The digital government clarified on its website 6 exceptions to allow residence visa holders to stay outside the UAE for more than six months, while maintaining the validity of the visa.
These exceptions include:
1. The foreign wife who is sponsored by her Emirati husband
2. Workers for a government body who are sent abroad for treatment by his employer (a medical report approved by the Ministry of Health and Prevention, or other approved health authorities must be submitted)
3. Domestic workers accompanying a student studying abroad or a person treated abroad
4. Domestic workers accompanying members of diplomatic and consular missions who represent the UAE abroad, employees of these missions who have a residence visa in the UAE,
5. Public sector employees sent by their employer to attend training or specialised courses, employees at employers’ offices abroad and their families
6. The resident student who travels abroad to study at a university.